Discover my Travel

Explore every corner, dance every day,
live life with passion!

AddThis

| | | More

Sunday, November 15, 2009

First half of the Queen Charlotte Track, NZ

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 - Kaikoura to Marlborough Sounds/Picton - then onto Queen Charlotte Track (Ship Cove to Endeavour Bay)
HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY!! I haven’t seen a single Aussie and didn’t celebrate it at all, other than in my thoughts.
Left Kaikoura at a reasonable hour taking the coastal road up to Picton via Blenheim and the Marlborough wine area - not that we got to stop and taste anything. At Picton found the information centre and got the 71km walk along Queen Charlotte Track organised. Took the easy option and had the boat take my bag from place to place which therefore meant I only need to walk with my day pack!! It is a great service. My three nights accommodation was organised at the same time - it now means I just have to do the walking.


Caught the 1.30pm Cougar Line boat to the far end of the track - Ship Cove, which was a stopping point for Captain Cook. At 3pm I then started the 4-5hr walk to Endeavour Bay, which I did in 3hours. Discovered I am in the fast walker category. I didn’t think my fitness level was that good, and well in comparison to Kris I’m far off the pace, but with regard to the ‘average’ I guess doing better than I had thought. The first half hour was probably the worst as it was predominantly all up hill. I can walk pretty well on flats. I hate hills!! At the top got good views of both Ship Cove and Resolution Bay. From there the terrain settled and I set up a consistent pace. Stopping periodically for photos, drink of water, snack or that ‘OMG’ moment which can’t be captured on camera. Some stunning scenery. I’m so glad I got to come straight out on the walk. I wasn’t sure if the connections would work and therefore have to spend a night in Picton - which is a nice little town, more upmarket that Kaikoura, but staying out here at Fernaux Lodge (even without hot water) is much quieter and serene. There was even a small rainbow just before sunset. It was right at the top of the mountain near where the sun was setting - a new stage in my life!! A new ‘pot of gold’ waiting for me!!

Tues 27 Jan, 2009 - Malborough Sounds Day 2 (Endeavour Bay to Punga Cove)

Up at 8am to have bag outside door ready for collection for boat and next destination. Had a tea and wandered around the Lodge with the sun starting to come over the mountain - well it would be doing if the clouds weren't in the way. Left around 9am and took a walk up to a waterfall behind the lodge. Again starting up hill! Don't know how long the roots of the trees are going to survive with people treading on them all the time. The waterfall was flowing and the rocks were covered in green moss. Returned to the track and started the walk around to Punga Cove - a 2hr 45min walk (I was a little slower today!! Don't know whether it was because I was a little tired, or because I knew I had the whole day to walk a short distance). It was overcast and cooler today. It was actually quite nice temperature, though not good for the photography.

Got into Punga Cove Resort at 1pm and read for a little while. Then decided (though of course temperature dependant) to go down utilise the spa. Thankfully it was well within a satisfactory comfort range. The pool actually was warmer than the weather outside. So I spent the next couple of hours in the sauna, spa, pool (I had to cool down!!),spa and finished back in the sauna - geez it was fabulous. Think I'll be ready to tackle the 23km tomorrow.

The weather outside now is very cold - windy and wet. Thankfully I didn't fully listen to my mother and kept some decent warm clothing in my pack. Also that my bag has continued around with me. The people around me are having a giggle as they are still in thongs and shorts (we are inside - though no heating, they are wearing jumpers) whilst I have just gone and put stockings on under my pants, socks, another top layer and pulled out my thermal gloves! My fingers are improving but I still can't feel my big toes. Tomorrow is supposed to clear up - just a night event. I do hope this is the case because I don't really feel like walking in the wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger